Reminder – eSlips : As of December 10th, 2019, please ensure you follow these instructions (Click Here) after applying your update to Power Broker to configure the new method of the eSlips integration.
When upgrading from versions prior to 4.32 all workstations, servers and terminal services need to run the program bro\pbpdf.exe. New workstations can just run the bro\workstation.exe as normal. The pbpdf.exe will update the Power Broker PDF Printer from Amyuni version 4.0.1 to version 184.108.40.206. PDF printing will not work without completing this step. This would be completed after the server update is finished.
When upgrading from 4.29.7 and prior:
Those installations still using Word 2003 must enable 2003 Compatibility mode via the Define Your Company Information -> G/L Account Info Tab, Miscellaneous Options Section after applying this upgrade.
Word 2007+ users can update templates to DOCX format via Create or Edit MS Word Form Letter option found on Forms Menu, and clicking the ‘Convert Old Templates’ button.
Digital Image Attachment users MUST re-run the updated BRO\WORKSTATION.EXE installation if the software release date on the login screen is older than June 19th, 2013. The digital image attachment function will not work unless the workstation installation step is completed.
Change to Power Broker log in screen. Users are now prompt to input their User ID Code and Password. In case the User is not sure of their User ID – they can check under Tables tab – User Security Codes. Any users with 3 or more characters for their User ID will just need to enter the first two characters.
Please print (in landscape mode) and follow these instructions carefully without skipping any of the details. After reading this document over, should you find that some of the technical references seem too complex, please either contact our office for assistance, or seek the assistance of your existing local technical support representative for networking and hardware issues.
Preparing For Your Update
1) Ensure that everyone has exited Power Broker when doing your update.
2) Please ensure that you and/or your local technical support representative have run a complete backup of your \BRO directory.
It is also strongly advised that an alternate backup is created by following these easy steps:
- Ensure that everyone is out of Power Broker, open Windows Explorer
- Right click on your \BRO folder, choose ‘Send To’ – ‘ Compressed Zip File’
- Should something go wrong with your update or your techs last backup, this Compresed Backup Zip file would be a ‘HUGE’ asset, thus preventing you from having to re-input days or months of information.
3) Obtaining a Power Broker Upgrade Setup.exe file
Download and Save this to a location on your computer.
4) Finding your Power Broker software sitting at a workstation
Please follow these next steps to locate your Power Broker software:
- Right click over your Power Broker icon
- Left click on Properties and then left click on the Shortcut Key
- Write down the target line on paper and click the ‘OK’ button at the bottom of the shortcut window.
(In this example, Power Broker is located on J:\BRO )
5) Installing your update from your computer
Double clicking the setup.exe file in MyDocuments and point the upgrade to your J:\BRO folder on your server. (Or whatever drive you have used) Once the upgrade reaches 100%, a final ‘Finish’ option will be displayed. Click Finish.
6) Launching Power Broker 4
If the icon on your desktop points to any other drive other than C:\BRO, double click on your Power Broker icon to begin the automatic data conversion.
If your icon does say C:\BRO and you’re not sitting at the server, then this may mean that you are using the ‘Running on a Large LAN’ setup and should click here: Running on a Large LAN for Power Version 4
Once the data conversion is complete, you can type in your Power Broker password.
Question: What if I have a brand new workstation and would like to use Power Broker 4?
• Mapping your workstation
At the workstation, open Windows Explorer, click on Tools, choose Map Network Drive, choose the J: drive, click on browse, and browse to Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, the domain or workgroup name, choose the server that Power Broker is loaded on, choose C: drive, then APPS, then OK. (Check mark in the ‘ Reconnect at logon ‘).
• Workstation.exe on your workstation
Workstation.exe is a file that needs to be installed at any computer you wish to run Power Broker at. Since you have just setup a new mapped drive at this workstation, you would now go to Start, Run, click on Browse, in the ‘Look in’ window at the top left, click on the drop down arrow and choose your J: drive, in the larger window underneath, double click on \BRO, and then find Worstation.exe. Go through the installation screens.
• Creating an Icon and Naming it on your workstation
With a J:\ drive now in Windows Explorer, you should see a \BRO folder. Find a file called BROW.EXE, right click on this file, and choose ‘ Send To Desktop, Create New Shortcut ‘. Rename the icon to Power Broker with a capital P and B please and change the icon by right clicking, going to properties, click change icon, browse, and then browse to J:\BRO\POWERBROKER.ICO.
• Running Power Broker for the first time at your workstation
Double click your new Power Broker icon. A log in screen should appear. Either hit ‘Return’ on your keyboard or check the email from a Power Broker representative that would suggest an alternate password to log in with. Once you log in, you should visit TABLES, USER SECURITY CODES, and setup a new user i.d. with your own private password.
Here is the quick version of the upgrade for you pros…
- Everyone exits Power Broker
- Run a full backup of \BRO
- Download and install setup.exe
- Launch Power Broker from that computer